English Poet Laureate 2021/2022
Albert Dumont is a poet, storyteller, and an Algonquin Traditional Teacher. He has published five books of poetry and short stories and two children’s books, written in three languages. His most recent book, Sitting by the Rapids (2018), is a calm and graceful meditation on the extraordinary healing power of poetry. He has worked with the Wabano Centre for Aboriginal Health and the Native Veterans Association, and has served as an Elder with the Parole Board of Canada. He was awarded the Public Service Alliance of Canada – National Capital Region (PSAC NCR) 2010 Human Rights Recognition Award.
Poetry and Publications
- Sitting by the Rapids. Kegedonce Press, 2018.
- The Maple Leaves Of Kichi Makwa. Aninâtigo-anîbîshan Kichi-makwang. Éditions de la femme, 2011.
- Broad Winged Hawk: A Book Of Poetry And Short Stories. Anishinabe Printing, 2007..
- Of Trees and Their Wisdom: Poetry and Short Stories. Turtle Moons Press, Ottawa, 2009.
- With the Wind and Men of Dust. Turtle Moons Press, Ottawa, 2001.
- Councils of Encouragement. Independently published, 1994.
Prizes and Other Distinctions
- DreamKEEPERS Citation for Outstanding Leadership, 2017.